Skip To Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What special education services are available in Glendale-River Hills?
The Glendale-River Hills School District provides services to students who are identified as students with a disability in the following areas:

Q: How does my child qualify for special education services?
A referral for a special education evaluation can be made by a parent, teacher, principal, or another individual who suspects the child may be a child with a disability.  Each school in the Glendale-River Hills District uses Multi-Level Systems of Support (MLSS) as a framework for meeting the needs of struggling learners. Teams meet on a regular basis throughout the school year to review student progress, plan interventions, and monitor student progress.  When a child is referred for a special education evaluation, an Individualized Educational Program (IEP) team is convened to determine if there is a need for special education due to a disability.  Parents are members of the IEP team.

Q: What happens if my child is found to have a disability?
If the IEP team determines a student has a disability and needs special education, parents have to consent for their child to receive special education services.

Q: What is an IEP?
An IEP identifies a student’s strengths and describes their overall academic performance as well as functional performance (social, emotional, and behavioral performance).  A student IEP will include annual goals that target the area of disability.  Finally, an IEP will describe the special education services and accommodations that your child will receive due to their disability.  Your child may or may not receive other services through a school; however, the IEP is specific services and accommodations that are related to his or her disability.